Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why should I become a member of the North Carolina Democratic Party Jewish Caucus NCDPJC?
The Caucus will be a forum for Democratic members of the Jewish Community across the state to leverage resources to promote candidates and policies that align with Jewish and Democratic values, and that reject the politics of hatred, prejudice, bigotry, and division.
Once we are accepted as an affiliated caucus by the North Carolina Democratic Party, we will have representation and voting rights on the committees that determine the organization, policies, and operations of the Democratic Party, giving us a platform for articulating our values and concerns to our fellow democrats.
We know that many of us are stretched very thin with any number of demands on our time. In an ideal world, we would love to see you be a deeply engaged member. However, there is a great deal of value in your membership, even if joining the Caucus is the only act you perform. When we engage with Democratic Party leadership, whether on a local or at a state level, the more members we have the more impact there is to our asserting that, “We represent a Caucus of x Jewish North Carolina Democrats.”
What is the NCDPJC Mission Statement?
The mission of the NC Democratic Party Jewish Caucus is to add Jewish voices and values to strengthen and unify the NC Democratic Party and elect Democratic candidates to public office at every level.
Why are we forming this Caucus now?
As Jewish democrats, we believe the economy should be fair and benefit all Americans. We believe in voting rights, women’s rights, human rights, and social justice. We believe in providing access to affordable health care for all. We believe in providing equal access to education. We believe in saving the planet for future generations. Now is the time to fight for what we believe in. Furthermore, we have all read about antisemitic words and acts occurring all over North Carolina and all over the country. Some of us have even experienced them personally.
We have all witnessed the mainstreaming of hate speech in our country. All of this came as a surprise to many of us and motivated us to act now to work to elect candidates who are committed to fighting hate speech and hateful acts wherever and to whomever, they are directed.
What are the qualifications for membership in the caucus?
To be a member, you must:
- Identify as being Jewish, or have a personal connection to the Jewish Community
- Be registered to vote as a Democrat in NC (check voter registration status here). (If you need to register to vote, or change party affiliation to Democrat, go to this page – hosted by the DMV, and click on Get Started in the middle of the page.)
- Oppose any attempt to hurt or delegitimize any person, or any group of people, on the basis of race, religion, color, ethnicity, national identity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, employment, disability, or other protected classes.
Does it cost anything to join?
There is no cost to join. However, we do need funds and help from volunteers to operate. Please consider donating by clicking on the link to ACT BLUE on our website and volunteering your time and talents to our caucus.
Why are we holding a second Founding Convention on October 15, 2023?
In the course of working to become a fully affiliated organization of the North Carolina Democratic Party, we learned that we are required to give all registered NC Democrats the opportunity to vote on our bylaws. Only after this condition is met, can the Caucus, and voting on Caucus business, be limited to its members.
What is the position of the NCDPJC on Israel and Palestine?
- It is possible to be a progressive and also support the right of Israel to exist as a Democratic and Jewish state, within secure borders.
- It is possible to support the state of Israel, and its people, without supporting its elected leaders or policies at any given time.
- It is possible to advocate for Palestinians to have a country of their own, without working for the economic and/or physical dismantling of Israel.
- It is possible to recognize that there has been an Arab presence in the Land of Israel for quite some time, while also accepting that for well over 2,000 years there have always been Jews in the Land of Israel – even after the Babylonian and Roman exiles – and that Jews are indigenous to Israel.
- It is possible to criticize the current government’s policies in the disputed territories, while also recognizing the failures and missed opportunities of the past Palestinian leadership, who have rejected multiple serious offers for Palestinian statehood in the majority of the West Bank and in Gaza.
- It is necessary for the Caucus to focus on working to save and protect democracy in NC – even as we pray for and support enlightened peace-loving leadership and democracy in Israel, the Palestinian territories, Arab countries, Ukraine, and the countries and regions of the world.
What is the JD-NCDP? Is this you, or are there competing Jewish Caucuses in the NC Democratic Party?
No. This group is not us, nor are there competing Jewish Caucuses. JD-NCDP is not a caucus of the NC Democratic Party. They are a sub-caucus of the Interfaith Caucus, which is an Affiliated Organization of the NC Democratic Party. Whether from lack of information, or due to intentional disingenuousness, their recent communications have misrepresented the mission, positions, and intent of our organization, the North Carolina Democratic Party Jewish Caucus.
Our Caucus was provisionally approved as an Affiliated Organization by the NC SEC in June 2023. We expect to be approved as a full-fledged Affiliated Organization of the NCDP by the SEC, subsequent to successfully completing our founding convention on October 15.